I have an undergraduate degree from the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities in Geography with minors in Design and Architecture. I also have a Master of Library & Information Science (MLIS) from St. Catherine University (as of May 2019).
During my MLIS coursework I focused on the interactions between information, technology, people, and society. I took several database courses, where I learned about using SQL and PHP to design, build, and interact with relational databases. I also took an Internet Fundamentals & Design course, where I fell in love with web development. We learned how to design and create a website from scratch using HTML and CSS. Since then, I have worked to learn and practice more skills and technologies.
I love learning and found that the ever-changing web development is perfect for keeping my mind active...there are always new technologies and techniques to tackle.
When I'm not coding, I enjoy photography, editing my photos (see some of my work on Flickr), hiking, jigsaw puzzles, crossword puzzles, reading, and hanging out with friends & family.
Why I Love Web Development
Web development combines many of my favorite things:
- Solving puzzles (How can I do this?)
- Creative thinking (Is there a another way?)
- Research (Let me Google it.)
- Visual design (How can I make this pretty?)
- Organizing and sharing information (How do I ensure this makes sense to users?)
- Building stuff (Look, I made a thing!)
- Technology (Computers can do awesome stuff!)